All E-commerce relies on search: ranking relevant results. When I look for “phone”, I would be disappointed to see pages of “phone accessories” before I get to the actual phones. Within phones, should we bubble up the best selling ones? The ones with best reviews?
In this session, we’ll explore how we can approach relevancy issues with two of the biggest names in big data search: Elasticsearch and Solr. We’ll discuss the following topics:
- What are Elasticsearch and Solr and why are they fit for searching in billions of documents
- Main differences between Elasticsearch and Solr
- How is relevancy score calculated by default and how can we influence it
- How to continuously tune relevancy score criteria
- Trade-offs between functionality and performance, especially on autocomplete, which is latency-sensitive